Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Book Talk: Brother Lawrence's
"Practice of the Presence"
Margaret Becker
CCM Magazine

I got my first job in second grade. Every night, around six, I “clocked in” at the sink. I learned early how to get burnt Shake-n-Bake off Pyrex and what “dish-pan hands” meant in real life.


My career skills followed me to college, where I worked long, hard, sweaty hours at Duke’s Grill as a “professional” dishwasher. As far as jobs go, the only perk was the solitude. No one in his/her right mind wants to stand in the steam of hot water, handling mounds of other people’s table scraps. I escaped by daydreaming about what I would do with my paycheck.

I guess that is why I have always been fascinated with
Brother Lawrence and his timeless book, "The Practice of the Presence of God" (Whitaker House).

A “lay brother” among monks in the 1600s, Brother Lawrence went to serve in a monastery at the age of 55. Among his menial tasks were cooking and cleaning up for the order. Unlike me, while his hands did common work, he discovered his life’s passion: the discipline of constant prayer and praise. He considered it his honor and his duty.
The rest
This is a book that I have read many times. You will be blessed by it! -PD


And another book of interest:
Amazon reviewers give 'Marketing of Evil' 5 stars
'Powerful,' 'eye-opening,' 'I have not been able to put this book down'
Posted: October 26, 20051:00 a.m. Eastern

WND Managing Editor David Kupelian's new blockbuster book –
"The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised as Freedom" – has garnered a rare five stars on Amazon.com, based on reader reviews.
Book review here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home