Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Settled Rest
Betsy Childs

Sometimes I am amazed at what good gifts God gives us even in the midst of the radical fallenness of our world. Many expect good things in this world as if they are somehow ours by right, but I find myself surprised each time God displays his beauty or sends me an unmixed blessing. That He allows us to enjoy moments of light-heartedness, that we have the capacity to build deep and meaningful relationships, that we receive pleasure from exercising our five senses… all these are privileges that we should not take for granted.

Yet although I am pleasantly surprised when I receive good gifts from God, I find myself fighting and questioning when He takes the same gifts away. I mistakenly assume that just because they were good for me to have, they must be good for me to keep. But this is not a safe assumption.

Our natural response to good gifts is to rest in them. Although we may readily admit that happiness does not come from the abundance of our possessions, it may be harder for us to realize that lasting happiness also does not come from healthy bodies, a fulfilling vocation, peaceful relationships, or even a thriving church. Make no mistake; each of these things is a gift from God to be enjoyed. But we can never rest in these blessings because they are not permanent. God is the only thing in this life that does not change. People pass away, friendships change, and God persistently calls us to trust Him in uncharted territory. God alone is the thread of continuity we can expect to run from the beginning of our story to the end.

The rest here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home