Thursday, August 24, 2006

Not everything is negotiable, says Archbishop
Date: Aug 25
By Ed Beavan

THE ARCHBISHOP of Canterbury has issued a warning to the liberal wing of the Anglican Church saying that not every controversial issue facing the Communion is negotiable. Speaking in an interview with the Dutch evangelical daily newspaper Nederlands Dagblad, the Most Rev Dr Rowan Williams said that ‘boundaries are determined by what it means to be loyal to Jesus Christ’ when questioned on unity in the church and the row over homosexuality.

He also explained his decision to write an essay while a professor of Divinity at Oxford in which he argued for a revision of Christian teaching and held open the possibility of same-sex unions. When asked if he had to compromise his personal views now he was Archbishop (pictured), he said: “Twenty years ago I wrote an essay in which I advocated a different direction. That was when I was still a professor, to stimulate debate. “It did not generate much support, and a lot of criticism – quite fairly on a number of points. “What I am saying now is: let us talk this through. As Archbishop I have a different task. I would feel very uncomfortable if my Church would say: this is beyond discussion, forever. Equally I have to guard the faith and teaching of the Church. My personal ideas and questions have to take second place.”
the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home