Monday, February 19, 2007

Schori triumphs in Dar as new Anglican queen
Ruth Gledhill weblog
Monday, 19 February 2007


So far from being excluded from the Primates' Meeting in Dar es Salaam, I can break the news that TEC Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori has been elected onto the all-important policy-making Joint Standing Committee. There will be much speculation about how this came about. It is obviously interesting to note that the administration of the Anglican Communion Office depends on funds from TEC. Balancing the books without TEC would not be possible. It is equally likely that Rowan Williams respects her, and that many of the Primates wanted to make a particular gesture of support after the opposition that has been expressed to her. A source close to what's happening in Dar es tells me that things will be "very rough" this afternoon. I am just wondering whether the TEC report, the election of Bishop Schori onto the standing committee and the apparent acquiesence of so many of the Global South Primates in what has been going on so far might perhaps indicate quite a tough, orthodox doctrinal line in the Anglican Covenant. I'll post the rest of the SC names in just a sec, when I've had a cup of tea, which I'll raise in a quiet toast at my desk in Wapping to Bishop Schori. While I find myself in fundamental disagreement with her on some, although not all, aspects of the doctrine she preaches, as a woman, I have no choice but to salute her. Watch out Rowan! Remember that Kipling poem, which Frieda Hughes wrote about in The Times last week: The female of the species is deadlier than the male... You have been warned! link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home