Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bishop Love Writes to the Diocese of Albany: Bishop Herzog turns to Rome
Priest and Deacon's Update
Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Upon my arrival home from the House of Bishop's meeting, I received the attached letter from Bishop Dan, informing me that after a three and half year long period of focused prayer and study, he and Carol have decided to return to their roots and be received into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. While I respect Bishop Dan and Carol's decision, it is with great sadness that I receive and pass on this news.

I know this was not an easy decision, nor was it made without great personal cost. Unfortunately, unlike Bishop Bena's decision to transfer to the Church of Nigeria, continuing as a bishop in good standing in the Anglican Communion, Bishop Dan's decision has necessitated the resignation of his orders as bishop, priest and deacon. As such, he will not be able to function in an ordained capacity within the Diocese or larger Anglican Communion.

Dan and Carol have been and continue to be good friends of the Diocese of Albany and will always be welcome at all functions in the Diocese. Their decision to return to Rome was not and should not be seen as an attack or lack of love or concern for the Diocese of Albany. As we continue to hold Dan and Carol up in our thoughts and prayers, may God bless them richly in His love and mercy and grace.

The recent retirement and subsequent departure of both Bishop Dan and Bishop Dave from the Episcopal Church, can't help but have a major impact on each of us and our Diocese. One of my greatest concerns, as your new Bishop, is that others in the Diocese are also struggling with the current issues that threaten to divide the Church. Please know that I am here for you as we work through these issues.

As your bishop and brother in Christ, I appreciate and give thanks to God for you and every member of our diocesan family. I need you as we move forward. We are blessed with being in a wonderful, Christ-centered, Spirit-filled Diocese. The Lord is doing mighty things in the Diocese of Albany and has even greater plans for the future. It is absolutely essential that we stick together, as one body in Christ, loving, supporting and upholding one another as we answer our Lord's call to act in faith and obedience through the power of the Holy Spirit, living the Great Commandment and Great Commission.

May our Lord Jesus Christ bless us and use us mightily in His service and always to His glory and the benefit of His Church.

Faithfully Yours in Christ,

+Bill
Bishop of Albany



Letter from Dan Herzog to Bishop Love
March 19, 2007

Dear Bishop Bill,

I have written to the Presiding Bishop to advise her that last week Carol and I were received into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. This action is the result of three and a half years of focused prayer and study. There is a sense of joyful contentment in being in union with the office of Peter and the universal church. There is also an element of sadness at losing a special connection with the devoted clergy and outstanding lay leaders serving Christ in the Episcopal Diocese of Albany, and the Anglican Communion

You and many others are aware of the turmoil which has enveloped the Episcopal Church since the decisions and actions of the General Convention in 2003. That turmoil was not merely external. It also caused a lot of hidden tears. To my mind, the power which the Convention claimed to exercise in fact negated any previous authority on which I had relied. It caused me to engage in a fresh examination of apostolic teaching and authority.

In spite of my personal grief over all this, my sense of duty to the Diocese, its clergy and people required that I not walk away from my office and leave vulnerable this diocese which I love. I believed that it was my responsibility to provide for a transition to the future. Your subsequent election and consecration discharged that duty and has given me the liberty to follow my conscience, and now resign my orders and membership in the House of Bishops.

It is certainly no reflection on you or your ministry which Carol and I both admire and respect and for which we pray daily. Needless to say, we have only fondness and appreciation for you and the Diocese in whose ministry Carol and I have invested the past thirty-five years of our lives.

We have now an even greater incentive to pray for that unity which Christ willed for His church, a unity embedded in that faith once delivered to the saints.

With every wish for a holy celebration of Jesus' resurrection, I remain,

In Christ,
Daniel W. Herzog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home