Saturday, May 19, 2007

HOUSTON: Katharine Jefferts Schori on the future of the Episcopal Church
First woman to preside as bishop talks with Statesman religion reporter

By Eileen Flynn
American-Statesman Staff
May 19, 2007

The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori gave the commencement address for the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest on Tuesday. She took office in a time of worldwide tensions in the church.

American-Statesman: I realized on my way over here I didn't prepare any questions about what it's like to be the first woman to hold this job. I think part of that is maybe we've come to a place where we're not as surprised.

Katharine Jefferts Schori: My sense, though, is, for women who grew up without female role models in the church, it's a big deal. For children, who are growing up with more egalitarian models of leadership, it's not likely to be such a big deal. I'm aware that I represent something because of who I am, my gender. That's important to some people. It's certainly not a focus of mine.


the rest at Virtueonline

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home