Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gene Robinson on Gay Rites and Why He is Entering a Civil Union

In a new book the Anglican clergyman explains why he wanted to formalise his 20 year relationship
Gene Robinson
April 29, 2008

“I always wanted to be a June bride.” As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I knew there'd be trouble. I'd just delivered an hour-long lecture on the relationship between religion and public discourse, and why religious fervour over homosexuality plays such a large and negative role in the securing of full civil rights for gay people.

During the question-and-answer period, someone asked me about the forthcoming civil union between me and Mark, my partner of 20 years. The audience had been welcoming and sympathetic, full of laughter and understanding, and for one moment, I forgot that the C-SPAN cameras were rolling and that every word I said would be parsed by my critics. Within hours, those eight words had made it around the world, thanks to conservative bloggers and the magic of the internet. the rest image

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home