Monday, December 01, 2008

Mere Comments: Bennison's Other Folly

December 1, 2008

My parents live in Michigan, so I have traveled Interstate 94 many times over the years. One of it's "attractions" had been the spectacle of Christ the King Cathedral, the home of the Episcopal Church's Diocese of Western Michigan. It was a hideous modern structure that amused or bemused anyone in my car who saw it. The wrecking ball would bring no tears to anyone who loves beauty.

This past Saturday, on the way back to Chicago after Thanksgiving with my parents, I looked for the landmark building. I was surprised to see the construction of what I took to be a warehouse going on right next to it. And the "cathedral" sign with its reference to Christ the King and the diocese of Western Michigan was gone. What in the world was going on?

I found out through an internet search that brought me to the Living Church that the cathedral of the Western Michigan Diocese of the Episcopal Church has been sold, and further, that it was originally constructed in 1968 under the episcopate of Bishop Charles Bennison, Sr. Now there's a name to remember. Isn't he the bishop who, after leaving Kalamazoo with the legacy of Christ the King, cover himself with glory in the diocese of Philadelphia? the rest

The Episcopal Church in Crisis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home