Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Stand Firm: A Note from Bishop Skip Adams

Wednesday, December 3, 2008
via email

Dear Clergy of Central New York,

You will remember the resolution that passed at our recent Diocesan Convention which addressed the openness of the ministries of the Church to all regardless of sexual orientation or marital/partnered status. National canons already establish that the process for ordination is open to anyone regardless of sexual orientation. It is the matter of marital/partnered status which I address in this note for your review.

Diocesan Convention Resolutions cannot bind a bishop to anything other than what is already a part of the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church. I certainly take our resolutions seriously and receive them with the care and thought intended by Convention. In regard to this particular resolution, as bishop I have the freedom to receive it and make my own judgments regarding my approval of people for possible ordination in The Episcopal Church.

It seems that the part of the resolution addressing marital/partnered status was ambiguous at best and although I believe I know what was intended, it left many with a lot of questions. I believe it is important for you to know where I stand on this. If a person who has the option of Holy Matrimony, as with most heterosexual relationships, makes a decision not to be married yet chooses to live with a partner as if married, then that person has by that decision removed him or herself from the ordination process. Since, at this time in New York State, gay and lesbian couples are not able to be married, I would be looking for relationships of monogamous commitment and integrity as intended for any married couple.

Faithfully yours,
+Skip Adams
Bishop of Central New York

Comments at Stand Firm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home