Sunday, April 22, 2012

Charles Colson, 1931-2012

Apr 22, 2012
By PETER WEHNER

Excerpt:
When thinking about the arc of Colson's life, I was reminded of a passage from John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress. Early on in Christian's journey to the Celestial City, he encounters the hideous monster Apollyon. Apollyon tells Christian that it is ordinary for those that have professed themselves God's servants after awhile to "give Him the slip and return again to me." To which Christian says, "I have given Him my faith, and sworn my allegiance to Him; how, then, can I go back from this?" And then Christian added this:
I count that the Prince under whose banner I now stand is able to absolve me, yea, and to pardon also what I did as to my compliance with thee. And besides, O thou destroying Apollyon, to speak the truth, I like His service, His wages, His servants, His government, His company, and country better than thine; therefore leave off to persuade me further: I am His servant, and I will follow Him.
Around 1973, Mr. Colson gave up standing under one banner to stand under another. He became God's servant. He faithfully followed Him to the end. And now, blessedly, he is united with his Lord. 

Charles Colson is home. Full essay image

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home