Monday, August 15, 2005

Deliberate Childlessness Revisited
Monday, August 15, 2005
Albert Mohler

Author, Speaker, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

Clearly, I hit a nerve. Almost two years ago, I published an article entitled "
Deliberate Childlessness: Moral Rebellion With a New Face." In that article I addressed the growing phenomenon of married couples who simply choose not to have children. I argued that this development indicates an eclipse of the Christian worldview in terms of the gift of children and a redefinition of marriage itself.

The article has been republished in various venues and has just recently erupted as a major focus of debate. After reviewing various responses--some extreme in intensity--I have taken time to rethink the issue and to revisit the question. At this point, I am even more convinced that deliberate childlessness represents a serious moral issue and that many Christians are deeply confused about the topic. Others seem to believe that the invention of modern contraceptive technologies has simply redefined the institution of marriage and the goods it is intended to represent.

the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home