Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The most obnoxious group in America
May 23, 2006
by Burt Prelutsky

I am not a religious man. I'm neither proud of that nor ashamed. I merely state that fact to establish where I'm coming from. I have friends who are believers and friends who are not. Where religion is concerned, I believe in live and let live. I only wish that the ACLU shared that attitude. I don't like to describe myself as an agnostic or an atheist because I don't care to align myself with the people whose own religion consists of a profound antipathy to everybody else's.

I decided a long time ago that religion would play no part in my life, but I felt no compulsion to convert others. Oddly enough, I never resented the folks who would ring my doorbell and try to proselytize me. Although I don't like dealing with uninvited guests, I always thought it was nice of them to be that concerned about the eternal soul of a perfect stranger.Having said all that, I wish to announce that I despise the ACLU for its relentless attacks on Christianity and Judaism.

It's bad enough that they will wage battle on behalf of any busybody looking to banish Christmas and Hanukah symbols from public places, including one's own front yard. However, these very same lawyers will eagerly go to the mat to safeguard a Muslim's right to wear a disguise on her driver's license, a Navajo's right to smoke peyote, and a cultist's right to ritualistically slaughter small animals.
the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home