Monday, February 01, 2010

Bishop Chane to retire after lackluster tenure

Chane concedes funding, growth problems over 9 years
February 1, 2010
By Julia Duin

Washington Episcopal Bishop John B. Chane's announcement that he expects to retire in the fall of 2011 wraps up nine years at the helm of a diocese he acknowledged had not grown or prospered during his tenure.

"I call for this election not because of any health reasons, or because I am burned out or bored," Bishop Chane, 65, told about 325 people Saturday at the annual diocesan convention at the Washington Cathedral. "I don't know how any bishop could ever be bored serving this diocese. It's a very lively place.

"I love what I do and I deeply love this diocese. When the time actually comes to turn over the crozier to another, it will be a very emotional time for me." the rest image

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home